Saturday, 29 March 2008

Week 8, Task 1: Digital Immigration

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=digital+immigrant

According to the urban dictionary, digital immigration can be defined two ways. The first, which I think isnt the appropriate definition for this work, says that a digital immigrant is "Somebody who has popped up on an Internet site because of clicking on a link (sometimes accidentally). They don't have the slightest idea where they are at, but read the site information out of curiosity, and occasionally buy items if they are listed for sale."

The other definition, the one correct to this work, says a digital immigrant is "Someone who grew up before the digital age and is fairly new to the internet. Basically anyone over the age of 28."

Marc Prensky studied the digital immigrant phenomena back in 2001, and he had this to say. "The importance of the distinction is this: As Digital Immigrants learn – like all immigrants, some better than others – to adapt to their environment, they always retain, to some degree, their "accent," that is, their foot in the past. The “digital immigrant accent” can be seen in such things as turning to the Internet for information second rather than first, or in reading the manual for a program rather than assuming that the program itself will teach us to use it. Today’s older folk were "socialized" differently from their kids, and are now in the process of learning a new language. And a language learned later in life, scientists tell us, goes into a different part of the brain."

So there is a clear distinction between digital natives, the generation we find ourselves in, and digital immigrants, who may be our parents, grandparents, friends, cousins, long lost sister's dog's mum. What Prensky is trying to say is that digital immigrants will always remember life without technology and how different the electronic counterpart of a book or a daily task is so different and will take some time to adapt to.


Quotes taken from "Digital Natives Digital Immigrants" ©2001 Marc Prensky found at http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf




5 comments:

Steph Hodder said...

What do you think to Prensky's definition? I personallythink it's a little offensive to th older generation - especially your definition where it says anone ovr the ag of 28-years-old.

Personally, I know plenty of people over the age of 40, actualy,who would be considered digitl immigants, but actually I find are natives.

Steph Hodder said...

Sorry about the spelling mistakes - my keyboard is playing up!

NathanGlasgow said...

Yeah I agree with you there, my dad teaches me how to do stuff on a computer all the time. I think its biased towards the fact that the internet etc is a new technology and Prensky thinks that means its supposed to only be for younger people.

Bunkmeister MC said...

I think it's ridiculous to class a person as something or other because they are over a certain age. How can anybody know a person's technology background based on age. They might have more knowledge than anybody. The connotations of native and immigrant are also isolating and I agree with Steph, offensive.

Emma Kilkelly said...

Nathan,

I'm really pleased to see the discussion that has taken place here, as a result of your original blog post. If you don't think something is relevant eg. the first quote you list here....then probably don't bother listing it. However, the rest of your post makes good sense. I'm also pleased to see that you include quotes to support your argument, and thoroughly reference these - this is good practice!

All the best

Emma