Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Week 1, Task 1: MUD's and MOO's

An MUD stands for Multiple User Dimension, Dialogue or Dungeon. When a user logs on, they choose to take control of a self created avatar, a physical representation of themselves in the game world, whether it looks like their actual self or not. Just like the real world, a character can walk around, chat to other players, solve puzzles, collect, by and sell items or explore the game world and its various "dungeons", a series of rooms containing treasure, monsters, puzzles, deathtraps or other obstacles designed to challenge the player.

An MOO is an object oriented version of a MUD, the main difference being that a MOO is more modifiable by the people playing it. The code a MOO is created from is much easier to modify so a user can create their own rooms and challenges.


I am not really familiar with these concepts. I know what they are as Ive had friends who have played on them, but the online games have never really appealed to me. I prefer sticking to Microsoft's Xbox Live, where I can play games I like and speak to the people I am playing with on a high powered machine capable of recreating a much more realistic environment.

Which type do you prefer, if any?

2 comments:

Emma Kilkelly said...

Nathan,

You really should have some comments on your blog posts by fellow study group students. It may be worth your while, looking at the lost of students from the New Media Home page, under my name, and seeing the 'Blog Contacts' and emailing your fellow study group students and reminding them that they should be commenting on your blog, and you should be commenting on theirs too. I like the fact that you end with a question here, as that is useful for generating discussion.

All the best

Emma

NathanGlasgow said...

Hey Emma,
Ive been making the rounds on the seminar's group blogs and left a few comments, some of which have been returned but not most of them...

Nathan