USENET is a system of groups where millions of people at a time can discuss any topic they so desire. It was originally created in America to connect two universities and allow them to share information easily, but has now expanded to be freely available to everyone on the internet, which has also given it the name newsnet. Usenet also gives each topic a specific name depending on its content. This can be found in the address of the page, such as "news.newusers.questions is for new users to ask questions about Usenet."
Information found on http://www.harley.com/usenet/whatis-usenet.html
Bulletin Boards allow people to communicate in large groups at once. Users upload messages on any topic to the board, and other users comment on them, allowing discussions and interactions between people who are interested in one topic. They are available to anyone to read at any time, and are constantly updated with information, questions and personal opinions on a topic.
Information found on http://www.iffgd.org/site/learning-center/support-groups/online-self-help-groups-bulletin-boards
At first, I did not know what was meant by these two concepts. But when I researched deeper into them, I understood that I simply knew them by different names. Usenet to me, is Newsnet, and I regularly use a system very similar at University to collect any Journalism assignments I may have missed or need to collect etc. This is available through the online portal system under the title of Newsnet, allowing it to be very specific as to what exactly this is for. When I want to find a specific item, I simply look under the title of the Unit.
Similarly with bulletin boards, I use them regularly but know them as discussion forums. It is amazing how the internet has allowed us to create such communities where people can support one another without the embarrassment of personal confrontation, and I think these are a very good thing. Particularly, if someone has an embarrassing health problem or are worried about another person, they can seek help online without any repercussions in their lives from people who want to laugh at them as it is something they dont understand.
Wednesday, 20 February 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nathan,
Your blog posts are clearly titles which is helpful! I'm glad too that you include references to websites with regards to where you gained your information from. A considered response. Good.
All the best
Emma
Hey Emma,
I figured this was just the same as any other academic piece so Ive tried to include my references in all of the articles Ive published or used.
Nathan
Post a Comment