Navigation
A web forum is normally organised into specific subjects under various headings. This makes it easier for users to navigate through the pages in order to find a topic helpful to them. Some also utilise search engines for even quicker progression through pages and pages of material.
Expression
Interaction
As there is no actual depiction of emotion, we have to read the tone of voice a post in a forum is giving across. The use of emoticons, little images depicting characters in various emotions sometimes helps to put a point across in its intended manner, but where these are not available, we have to rely entirely upon reading the tone of voice a statement is printed in. This is largely dependent on how we choose to read it. There is also no worry present in a forum as everyone will get their say and be heard equally.
Time
I do not fully understand what this particular aspect of the task means. I would guess that it is asking what we think of having a week to perform all the tasks we're given? if so, I would say it is a fairly tight deadline, and rather time consuming for people not used to keeping a blog or constantly updating it, myself included. As a result of this I would say I have found this task harder than others, as it is finding the time to post on the blog and keep it going that is the hardest part.
Authority and identity
Again, on a forum there is not really any specific people in charge. There may be moderators present to ensure no users get abusive or break any rules of the forum, but no specific person in charge. A call and response structure of conversation occurs, as a user posts what it is they wish to know and depend on the kindness of other to respond to it in a truthful manner. Some users may assert forms of authority over a forum by saying something like they are a doctor so they understand what you are feeling whilst going through this illness, automatically formulating a way for us to interact with them, but we have to entirely trust this person not to be lying to us.
Speech / writing
The forum has features we would associate with both speech and writing. In its very nature it is speech, as it relies upon a conversational structure to keep going, but it is in a written form of either non standard or standard language. Users may depict an accent or an unfamiliarity with a language by substandard grammar and also depict a regional dialect through use of certain words, but if other users do not understand they can always ask what is meant for clarity, again likening a forum to speech.
2 comments:
Nathan,
I'm pleased to see that you've really been putting in the work here! I was interested in your comment on 'emoticons' - how effective do you think these are? Yes, I agree with what you say regarding time on this module....there is an awful lot of work to do for it....for me as a tutor too, as there is far more work to read, than there would normally be, if for example students simply wrote a 2,500 word assignment. The fact that people don't have set seminar times, perhaps makes some less likely to spend the time in a week that they would do for a normal seminar? I was very interested in your comments about the 'call and response' structure....as this clearly relates to jazz/spiritual music and I wondered if some comparisons could be drawn there, fo a research project perhaps? I enjoyed reading your thoughts here.
All the best
Emma
Hey Emma,
I was interested in the use of emoticons to make a conversation seem clearer to the users, my earlier comment about the semantic web again comes into play, as I did English Language in A Level and it reminded me of the work we did on the rules of a conversation, and how the facial interactions between participants makes a big difference on the outcome.
Nathan
Post a Comment