Saturday, 12 April 2008

Week 9, Task 1: Wenger and Prensky

I think these two theories go hand in hand rather well. Wenger talks about Communities of Practice existing as a helpful community allowing users to reach a common goal through shared values, meaning that they will work together to reach a goal. Prensky's digital immigrant/native debate links in well with this theory as he argues that there is a specific divide between the two. Digital natives are well versed with technology and understand how to use it, whereas digital immigrants are new to technology and are learning to use it.

Therefore I think it makes sense to say that a community of practice could exist here, as new users to the computing world would be looking for a way to better their skills at the technology they are using. On the internet this could take the form of a blog, posts in a forum or emailing a fellow user to seek their advice. There are so many options for a new user to take in any form of new technology that its use is easier than ever. The two theories link in so well because of their reliance on people as the basis for study. By this I mean that they compliment each other well, as Wenger understands the importance of interaction between people to better themselves and Prensky understands that when someone is new to an activity they seek ways to better themselves at it, possibly forming a Community Of Practice.

3 comments:

Nemesis said...

Evening Nathan,
I liked the idea of the C-of-P learning online. In my head I had it that users would meet to discuss their experiences. There is something about the phrase 'community of practice' that suggests it's IRL to me. Did you find that you applied all of the theories to online situations?

NathanGlasgow said...

I looked mainly at the usage of forums in relation to these theories because I found them to be the best example of a community of practice and the place where the digital native/immigrant debate would be most obvious. If a user is not so established with the idea of a forum it is easy to see compared to someone who is a frequent user and more capable of using the forums perks and utilising it to further their knowledge of a subject.

Emma Kilkelly said...

Nathan,

I think you apply these two terms well, and yes, the example you give is excellent! I'm pleased with the discussion too, and the fact that you've responded to it, even beyond the deadlines of the course.

All the best

Emma