Monday, 14 April 2008

The person who most threatens the notion of native/immigrant in digital culture would be...

My Dad i think. Like my grandad, he wasnt brought up with computers etc but they did come to exist within his lifetime. He is 41 and manages several depots for M&G Vehicle Hire, so he needs to constantly keep updated with what vehicle is where, who has rented it, if it needs any repairs etc through a complicated computer system. He is constantly asked to rectify problems within the system as he has a firmer understanding of it than most, the same going for computers in general.



I would brand myself a digital native, yet my father who I would have first thought of as a digital immigrant knows more about computers than I do. He is the one I look to when my laptop deicdes to crash, needs formatting or I need a new programme installing and I dont understand how to do it or how to operate it. Our first home PC was bought around 9 years ago, and he set it up from scratch and kept it in optimum running condition, whilst me and my sister used it for games and the internet, and later our schoolwork, he worked to make it run at optimum efficiency.



Aside from PC's my Dad also likes to have the latest in Home Entertainment. He has a 36" high definition plasma TV mounted on the wall, a surround system placed around the living room where the system decides it would be best and a DVD player capable of upscaling standard definition into high definition. Some of this still seems foreign to me, all I know is that it makes the actors and actresses faces much more detailed so we can see all of their faults, I wouldnt know what resolution it is running in and how we could remove the ghosting effect from the edge of the screen, as a lot of this is jargon to me. Everyone specialises in something and I would say my dad specialises in technology more than I do, who would call himself a digital native.



Therefore I think he most challenges the concept by being more well versed in the world of technology than a 19 year old young man.

1 comment:

Emma Kilkelly said...

Nathan,

This is an interesting blurring of Prensky's concepts. Good

All the best

Emma