This article investigates young people's perceptions of their own identities and how the media is used to shape their "self". The interlinking ideas of media and identity are explored through an in-depth look at ethnic minority media representation, and how this affects the audience.
An examination of creative and visual methods within social research introduces the methodology used in the study. Young people aged 13 to 14, of varying social and ethnic backgrounds from schools in Dorset, Hampshire and London created collages using media materials to show 'how I see myself' and 'how I think other people see me'. The researcher also used open questions in one on one interviews. 111 identity collages were produced to form upon which the findings of the researcher's theory are based.
The analysis revealed that young people view their identities as complex and diverse, whilst understanding that there are factors that contribute to the formation of their identity which are changed constantly.
I think the study shows how important role models are to impressionable young minds, and how individuals carry their identities. The researcher also suggests that the media functions as a to help young people form their present identities, and have an influence on their future self.
Monday, 14 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nathan,
This sounds an extremely interesting article...I'd be keen to know if anything similar has been carried out in the US? I'm not quite as sure though how this relates to digital natives/immigrants? Could you explain the link? All the best
Emma
Post a Comment