Just realised I put the wrong number on the previous article, so the order will be wrong! This is article 1, the previous is article 2.
I found this subsection in Lister and thought it relevant to the task, I know its not exactly an article but I still found it useful.
This section highlights what parents think are the dangers to their children online and why they would restrict their child's time online. The article says that constraints of time, space, access and resources available online can be more restrictive online than just on using a computer. This is because there is the constant threat of paedophilia occurring through children stumbling across a chat room and pretending to be older than they really are. This is a spin on the older notion that it was dangerous for children to play outside, prompting many parents to buy computers for their children in the first place, providing a scapegoat for outside play. It is now reversed that the internet allows children access to most of the vices the world holds, whether that be the threat of paedophilia or accidentally stumbling across pornographic materials.
So parents learn to use new security protocols to make the internet child proof, either through the use of firewalls and filtering systems or the creation of restrictive passwords or adult supervision. Therefore, the children are monitored just as much online as they would be in the physical realm outside the front door.
Monday, 14 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nathan,
Yes, I do agree that there does seem to have been something of a reversal....I would again query the relevance of this....and the fact it's not a journal.
All the best
Emma
Post a Comment