Monday, 14 April 2008

Week 8 Task 6: Disagreements

Article 1:
I found this article to be more biased in the way of looking at ethnic and social reasons for the dramatic increase in the way yound people use media, instead of looking at the actual technology itself. The article was very long winded and I didnt think he really did anything new with his study, only retreading ground that has been broken by sociologists many times over already.

Article 2:
As this was a section taken from a book rather than an individual article, it was rather vague. It seemed to act more as a breaker paragraph between two issues to summarise the argument so far rather than offer anything new. I think I could have rectified this by choosing another more precise article.

Article 3:
I found this article to be the most interesting as it was published at the time that the blogging boom really took off. People were studying the internet in depth for the first time, and this is reflected in how long the summary of this article I have made is. I also felt it relevant to include some quotes of the article to reinforce that this article has some factual theory behind it with a proper survey. On the other hand, it could be argued that this article is out of date, as it is now 9 years old.

Article 4:
This article seemed rather abrupt, it mentioned the facts that the watchdog had released to the world but didnt go into depth about them or offer reasons as to why. It was more like "oh this is happening in the world. and thats it."

Article 5:
This article was taken from a newspaper with quite strong connections to the new media craze. It was a good in depth examnination of the story it was telling, and took several sources into the article it was making. However, once again it seemed as if it was beating around the bush with regards to the actual point. It explored several factors as to what was happening behind the scenes with the new media craze but didnt look into the young people side of it.

1 comment:

Emma Kilkelly said...

Nathan,

I'm a little confused over the order of some of your blog posts, but equally pleased to see that you've attempted these tasks all the same. I think yes, the point you make about article 2 is fair enough. I think there is something to be gained when researching to set things in context so article 3 certainly does this. Geberally if you can balance these with more current articles it works well

All the best

Emma