Saturday, 12 April 2008

Week 9, Task 4: Tailor made education?

I think that tailor made education is definitely a bad thing, and extremely impractical. Besides educators having to create individual lesson plans for every student as opposed to a single class plan, if a student is having a problem with their work, the teacher has to familiarise themselves with what it is the student is studying in order to be able to offer practical, helpful advice. I don't really see how an individual tailor made system of education will help students to better themselves. The system we have in place at university seems so much more efficient to me, as we have a set work plan to do with specific guidelines to follow, but we have enough free time to read as much into the topic as we like individually. The process of individual research is much more practical when working from a set topic than deciding your own topic and stringing the teacher along. It is different when we are set an essay as we choose which way to approach the topic, not the topic we do in the first place.

I think as well that individual education would make humans very indifferent to one another and would hinder socialisation greatly. Children have enough trouble at school learning to fit in and make friends without having to worry about making their own choices of work to do. When a task has been set by a teacher it is very similar to a community of practice, as the members of the class are working to the same goal set by the teacher. If we had individual learning then there would scarcely be a community of practice to seek help from.

What is your opinion on Individual tailor made education?

1 comment:

Emma Kilkelly said...

Nathan,

Yes, I would agree to a certain extent on the impracticalities of it - yes, I also think that young students don't always necessarily know what they want to learn/study...I think a borad educational base is necessary to start out with, and then let this become more specialized as people progress and can become independent learners...eg. 3rd yrs at Uni get to pick their dissertation. When you're a PhD student, you can choose your thesis topic. etc.

All the best

Emma